This symbol set was created with building automation in mind, but thermostat controls have many applications across industries like food safety, industrial refrigeration, plastic injection, and pharmaceutical production. In many of these applications, temperature control and reports are required for auditing and recall purposes.
Zone control and room or area control are just some of the uses for this symbol in a building automation application. Combined with the InduSoft Web Studio BACnet driver it makes an excellent choice for displaying and changing temperatures in office buildings, homes or any HVAC application.
A handy slide out provides easy access for changing the units between °F and °C.
Below you will find a chart for the custom property (tag) usage.
Name: Thermostat_Black.sym, Thermostat_Blue.sym
Range (if applicable): -99 to +999
Description: This symbol set is a thermostat faceplate in blue and black
- There are a few graphics embedded in these symbols, the mode and fan icons as well as the up/down arrows.
- This symbol was created primarily for use on a PC running on a desktop or server operating system, but with some slight modifications, can be made to look great on Embedded Operating Systems. You will should have “Enable Enhanced Graphics” turned on in the Project-Viewer settings.
- The set point is an integer and can only set whole numbers. The actual temperature will round if the tag is a “real” type.
- The up and down arrows will add/subtract one at a time if pressed. If held down, it will increase/decrease 5 at a time. There are no limits on the set point.
Ideas for improvement:
- Alternative color backgrounds
- Add Min/Max limits to the set point range
- Apply the units to the tag property “Tag->Units” to convert/display units automatically.
- Make the background blink red for an alarm condition
Unzip and copy the .sym file into your Symbol folder of where InduSoft Web Studio is installed. This is usually “C:\Program Files (x86)\InduSoft Web Studio v7.1\Symbol” or similar. Either create a new folder or copy it into an existing one, such as “BuildingAutomation”.
Custom property/tag usage:
|FanTag||Integer||0 to 2||R/W||Fan Mode0 = Off
1 = On
2 = Auto
Values are cycled through by clicking on the fan icon.
|LocationLabel||String||R/W||Label at the top of the thermostat showing room location, process being monitored, etc. Can be static within double quotes or a string type tag|
|Slideout1||Boolean||0/1||R/W||Position of slide out. Currently used to select C/F units.|
|TagMode||Integer||0 to 2||R/W||Heat/AC mode0 = Off
1 = Heat
2 = AC
Values are cycled through by clicking on the mode icon
|TagName_Actual||Integer or Real||-99 to 999||R/W||Displays actual temperature. If value is real, the display will be rounded.|
|TagName_Setpoint||Integer||-99 to 999||R/W||Displays temperature set point. Can be controlled via up and down arrows. +/- by 1 single press, or +/- by 5 at a time by holding arrows down.|
|Units||Boolean||0/1||R/W||Displays F/C:0 = F
1 = C
Got better ideas for this? Let us know!
Want to let us know what symbols you need, or offer some good ideas on how to use the ones we’ve shared?